The Prime objective of the project is to rehabilitate the families that become landless by cyclone and river erosion. Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman established 'Guchchhagram (Cluster Village)' to rehabilitate cyclone affected people at Ramgati of Noakhali District (now Laxmipur district). Being inspired by Bangabandhu'sprogrammeSheikh Hasina established 'Asrayan' for the people who become landless by the cyclone or 1997. Local administration in joint collaboration with armed forces developed the infrastructure of the project. Making poor people self-reliant through loan and training is one of the vital objectives of the project. Asrayan is not a mercy project; it's the fulfillment of the right of livelihood of poverty stricken people. Pro-people government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is fulfilling that right of the landless people of the country.
- More than 139,000 families have been rehabilitated in 3 phases between 1997 and 2015 under the project being implemented by the government's own fund.
- Asrayan -2 project started in 2002 with an aim to rehabilitate 50 thousand families. It has already covered 33 thousand families so far.
- Power connection to 630 cluster villages have been completed and 3 million saplings have been planted in the project area.
- 3500 families having land without house have been provided houses in 227 project villages.
- Programme to rehabilitate 50 thousand landless families within 2017 under Asrayan Project-2 is being continued.
- Establish solar panels in 'Asrayan' Project area to ensure electricity supply.
- Making disaster resilient houses in project area.
- Digging ponds and making link roads and culverts in project area.
- Provide training to the beneficiaries of the project area on creating awareness about disaster.